reference material locale ?

Ken Hays hays at acns.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 14 18:42:28 UTC 2003

Hi folks, Where can I find reference material on bind9 logging
options, other than the Bv9ARM.html files and the tar ball?

In particular, I would like expansion reference material on the
output from rndc stats detailed in ARM @ 6.2.14.15. There are 6
counters:
 success, referral, nxrrset, nxdomain, recursion and failure

Names that have name-servers which are non-existant (other than
glue records and that show up as NXDOMAIN when the name-servers are
looked-up) get counted in which category above?

Which category are names that have "lame servers" counted in above?

Please confirm / revise my belief that
 total-queries  = sum ( success, referral, nxdomain and failure )
with nxrrset being included in success.

On a different facet, does the failure counter match-up to the
number of responses that, if dig interpreted the results would have
status: SERVFAIL in the response ?

Where do queries get tallied for which dig returns:
";; connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

How can I log only the queries that get SERVFAIL ?

Thanks, Ken

 Kenneth M. Hays                                hays at acns.fsu.edu
 Academic Computing and Network Services        aka kmh8 at the NIC
 Florida State University                       voice=850-644-2591x129
 2035 East Paul Dirac Drive                     fax=850-644-8722
 Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2760                eFax=773-913-0894