Help with DNS

Kari Laine kari.laine at dnainternet.net
Wed Oct 15 18:59:28 UTC 2003

Hi All,

I am setting up a testing network and I would need some pointers.

There is actually three networks with four machines each(2 servers win NT
and two workstations). They are connected with a "backbone network" on which
I have two Linux machines and a local DNS server which takes care of the
local machines and does caching for the rest of the addresses.

On those three networks I defined domains domain1.xxx, domain2.yyy and
domain3.zzz. Now I would need to set up my own root server to take care of
the delegation of these .xxx , .yyy and .zzz. I set up NT's own DNS server
in each local domain.

I am able to do those local zone-files for each network but I don't know how
to define the higher level.

I am thinking that this is set up somehow with NS records but I don't have
yet the faintest idea how the Zone-files should look.

Any pointers and help highly appreciated.

Best Regards
Kari