DNS-Sendmail Network Config Question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Oct 17 13:38:02 UTC 2003

Yop Yao <jhkim0010 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a primary DNS / Sendmail server that has a connection out to the
>internet.  This box  we will call this box 1 for now- is also
>authoritative with the FQDN of abcxyz.com domain.
>
>Box1 is also a slave for the hiya.info domain that is on a Win2k DNS
>box / Exchange 2000 mail program  we will call this windoze box2; the
>hiya.info domain is not FQDN and box2 is the master for this domain.
>

>I have a firewall rule set to direct all mail traffic to box 1
>(dns/sendmail box).
>
>Currently,  I am able to zone transfers between the unix box (box1) and
>windoze box (box2) and receive and send internet emails directed to
>user at abcxyz.com
>
>from box1.  I am working on trying to masq hiya.info to look like
>*@abcxyz.com when it passes through the sendmailbox(box1).
>

>I would like to get box 1 to relay all incoming internet  mail  to box2
>and all internal emails destined for the internet to hit box2 and have
>box2 hand off the emails to box1 before box1 sends it to the internet.
>
>I know I need to make some sendmail config changes to achive this but
>also I know I need to set up MX correctly for my DNS for this to work
>right.
>

>Questions:
>

>   Where should I set the MX record to get the desired result provided
>   that I made the right config changes to sendmail?  Should  I put it
>   in db.abcxyz.com zone file or the db.hiya.info zone file?

If you want inbound mail from the internet destined to

     hiya.info

to be sent to

     abcxyz.com

Then you need an MX record in the

     hiya.info

zone similar to this one:

     box2  MX  10  box1.abcxyz.com.

That records says, "Send any mail destined for box2.hiya.info to
box1.abcxyz.com."
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov