achieving failover with 2 primary name servers?

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Mon Oct 20 15:26:51 UTC 2003

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 10/20/2003 03:08:06 AM:
> Hi All,
>
> Trying to achieve a simple failover, I think of the following:
> Have 2 dns servers for my domain at the registrar.
> Both would act as a primary server for the domain.
> DNS1 will answer requests, and delegate www.domain.com to first ip -
> which is hosted on the same box as DNS1.
> DNS2 will answer requests, and delegate www.domain.com to second ip
> - which is hosted on the same box as DNS2.
>
> The rational is that if a resolver can't reach any of the DNS
> servers (either DNS1 or DNS2), it's most likely won't be able to
> reach the ip's that are hosted on box1 and box2 respectively as
> well, due to a box failure.
> So I assume that in case of a failover scenario, box1 will not be
> reached- therefor, the client resolver will try DNS2, which will
> reply with the ip of the apache placed on box2- and that's how a
> failover will be achieved.

This process is similar to the one that is outlined in RadWare's DNS
Whitepaper.  Check it out, however, be warned, their process screws a
couple of things up, like missing NS RR's and such.  You will probably see
what I am talking about after you read the doc.  It might help though...

Dave...