DNS servers wont resolve certain DNS names

Mike Hale mhale at TOUA.net
Tue Oct 21 18:41:35 UTC 2003

[root at toua root]# ping ns.itotf.com
PING ns.itotf.com (69.56.175.249) from 64.25.64.32 : 56(84) bytes of
data.

--- ns.itotf.com ping statistics ---
102 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% loss, time 101020ms

[root at toua root]# traceroute ns.itotf.com
traceroute to ns.itotf.com (69.56.175.249), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  bdrrtr1-co-eth0.toua.net (64.25.64.1)  17.082 ms  3.208 ms  1.778 ms
 2  * * *
[...]
30  * * *

Resolves, fine but sure doesn't like to answer pings.

>>I do notice one problem that has cropped up. DNS servers are=20
>>incorrectly reporting an old IP address that should no longer be used=20
>>for our primary name server. I checked our registrar a few days ago=20
>>after noticing this but it only accepts FQDN not Ips and it is=20
>>reporting the FQDN as the incorrect IP. So, I changed it to a CNAME
for=20
>>the primary name server hoping that the change would have propagated
by=20
>>now, but it

>NS records must always point to an A record, not a CNAME.

Right, the CNAME point was a temporary attemp at a fix.

>>doesn't seem to have worked. Our name servers are correctly resolving=20
>>the FQDNs as the correct IPs. Where is our registrar getting the=20
>>information for resolving our primary name server? Is it cached=20
>>somewhere. How could our primary name server still be reporting an old

>>ip address? Could this be related in some bizarre way to not being
able=20
>>to resolve a name through our servers?

>When you changed the IP you forgot to update the registration of the
server host.

Yep, you were right. I did not realise that you hard coded the ip
address. Makes sense now that I think about it. After a little looking
around I figured out how to change this. Thanks for the help.

Michael Hale
Tohono O'odham Utility Authority (TOUA)
Network Engineer
phone: 1.520.383.5849