Promoting Win2k DNS From Secondary to Primary Possible?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Oct 24 12:50:29 UTC 2003

rhonda.gaines at ps.net (Rhonda Gaines) wrote:

>I have 2 AIX DNS servers running BIND 8.  One is a primary and the
>other secondary.  I have a 3rd DNS server running Windows 2000 DNS
>which is also a secondary.  Can I and how can I promote it from a
>secondary to a primary?
>
> -thanks
>  rhonda
>  rhonda.gaines at ps.net

There has already been one reply, but I will add more to that reply.

1) On the W2k DNS Server, right-click on the zone to display the
   zone properties menu.  In the "General" tab there is a "Change"
   button.  Use it to change the zone from "standard secondary" to
   either "standard primary" or "AD-integrated".

2) On the master, save the primary zone data file as a backup.  Then
   edit named.conf to change the zone type from master to slave.
   Then "rndc reload".
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov