Bind 9.2.1 zone transfer to Win2K DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Sep 5 18:55:37 UTC 2003

noman143 at yahoo.com (Toan Ngo) wrote:

>I'm trying to get Win2K DNS to be a slave server to my current bind
>server.  I will be implementing Win2K ADS soon.  The Win2K DCs are
>allowed to update the ADS _zones on my BIND server.  I then want to
>zone transfer that information back to Win2K dns servers.
>When I do a zone transfer on the Win2K box, I don't get any errors but
>the ADS subdomains don't get transferred.  Am I missing something?
>Also, is there a better way to keep my bind server while also using
>Win2K DNS in a AD environment.  I am not using DHCP.

Exactly what is your configuration?  Do you have one zone

     w2k.example.com

that contains the four "_" sub-domains

     _msdcs.w2k.example.com
     _sites.w2k.example.com
     _tcp.w2k.example.com
     _udp.w2k.example.com

within it?  Or do you have five separate zones?  Also, why do you
have the DCs update the zones on the BIND server?  Look at postings
in the archives of this list (and of its sister list bind9-users);
I have posted my setup where I have the four "_" zones on a W2k DNS
Server (to take advantage of secure DDNS updates), and I have my BIND
servers as slaves for the "_" zones.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov