Can't delete named.root file?

MachineType google at jyroscop.cotse.net
Sun Sep 7 00:04:12 UTC 2003

Hello,

I just setup my BIND server on FreeBSD 4.8. It is in internal root and
a forwarder (for real Internet name access). The internal name is not
registered (and there is a domain with the same name).

My zone files are something like this:

@	IN	SOA	   mynameserver.mydomain.org.
root.mynameserver.mydomain.org.

@	IN	NS	   mynameserver.mydomain.org.

localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1

named.conf contains my ISP's DNS server addresses as a forwarder
forward only is not enabled.
etc/resolv.conf contains 127.0.0.1

As you can see I have a very simple setup.

Before I hooked this up to the Internet I set my IPFILTER firewall to
log all and rebooted.
Upon reboot I looked in the log and it seemed like to try to connect
to every root name server there is within 1-5 seconds. So I moved the
named.root file to a discrete location, changed the name, and
rebooted. It still did the same thing.

Is that named.root file only for human consumption and the real one is
somewhere else? Even if it is only for humans I don't understand why
that box is doing this it should just answer internal queries or turn
around and ask my ISP's nameserver about any names it doesn't know,
right?

Explanations or pointers please.

Thanks,

SLM