dns settings for third party email provider

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Sep 8 19:30:19 UTC 2003

In article <bjij8n$1o5$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Klym <nospam at klym.ca> wrote:
>I am learning the basics of DNS and am trying to solve a problem with
>setting up my email.  I have gone through previous posts and the
>how-to's but I'm still stumped ...
>
>I am hosting my web site, www.sophoula.com, on my linux box and would
>like to use a third party email hosting provider as I am not ready to
>run my own mail server.  I created a MX record with my email host's
>mail server name, ns4.i-mecca.net
>
>I have a dynamic IP so I am using dynamic dns services from
>www.dyndns.org
>I created a CNAME record for sophoula.com pointing to klym.dyndns.org

If sophoula.com is an alias, it can't have any records of its own.  So the
MX record you created is ignored.  You should have gotten a message in your
log complaining about "CNAME and other data".

You must have a CNAME record for sophoula.com because that name is required
to have SOA and NS records.

You can make www.sophoula.com be an alias for klym.dyndns.org, but you'll
have to do without the alias on sophoula.com.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA