Moving a DNS servers IP address.

Dan Brown dan at amanah.com
Mon Sep 8 22:14:54 UTC 2003

Ok, this is slightly off topic since it is not directly or entirely related
to bind but there may be bind caveats involved I don't know about.
Otherwise you may tell me where to go (hopefully).
We are currently moving one of our DNS servers from one network to another
(ns1.amana.ca/ns1.amanah.net - from 204.83.155.145 to 198.169.127.195).
Approximately a week ago we changed all of the SOA expiration record times
for amanah.net and amana.ca to be 3 hours so that (hopefully) other dns
servers querying ours for records would not keep our zone records cached
long.

I would think that nameserver services such as dyndns.com or zoneedit.com
would keep
relatively short expiration times for their clients in order to prevent IPs
being cached.  Our usual expiry time is 1 week, refresh time 3 hours, and
retry 1 hour.  The TTL is 24 hours.

The problem I am trying to avoid is to have ns1.amana.ca being referenced by
it's old IP address for a lengthy period of time.  Our ns2.amanah.net for
example was switched over to a different IP address (a 64.42.215.5) a couple
of weeks ago and yet it is still being referenced by it's old IP address
(204.83.155.146) by some (TLD) nameservers.
Now both of these domains are registered at opensrs.net and have their IP
listed by whois as the old IP addresses.  (I think the IP should be changed
here as well since they serve the domains they are on, my boss thinks they
will update automagically.)

I do not see any big problems with bind other than changing a few PTR
records back to the nameservers.

Hints?

dan at amanah.com