Need Help Internal DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Sep 9 01:04:35 UTC 2003

Yunus Mansuri wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am having problem resolving with internal DNS when an entry is not found
> in it's zone file it's not forwarding request to the forwarder which is my
> external DNS server
> ie.
> I do not have entry for www in my intrenal dns so when I try to resolve it
> it give me status: NXDOMAIN ie. it's not going to forwarder which has this
> entry for the domain in it's zone file

No, it doesn't work that way. When a BIND server is defined to be authoritative for a zone, it thinks it knows everything about the zone. It'll never forward queries for anything in the zone.

You need to have "www" and all other external names in *both* the internal and external versions of the zone.