DNS newbie want recommendations for managed DNS solutions

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Sep 10 16:52:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:29:45PM +0000, Wellington Fan wrote:
> Hello Listpeople,
>
> I unfortunately don't have the time to become a DNS expert, but have
> about 40 domains that I need managed remotely, cheaply, easily and
> reliably.
>
> Am I asking too much?
>
> I've peeked at:
>
> easydns <http://www.easydns.com/>
> dnswidge <http://dns.widge.net/>
> zoneedit <http://zoneedit.com/>
>
> Comments? Other recommendations?
>
> It seems like dnswidge is the cheapest at $2.45/domain -- should I be
> scared?
>
> Thanks all!
>
> --
> Wellington

I hope that isn't an unannounced spamcatcher e-mail address.  ;-(

To help you run your own BIND/DNS server, the Webmin package is well
spoken of.  <URL: http://www.webmin.com/>.  You should understand Web
security when setting it up.

You should understand DNS before managing it, and BIND before running
it.  Albitz & Liu's "BIND and DNS" [current edition] is considered the
one book you must read.  The DNS and BIND Cookbook is another good
source.

If you really are asking for someone else to manage your DNS ... I
suppose your ISP will be as bad a choice as any other.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B