Setting per-process nameservers

Dieter Jansen dieter at tplex.com.au
Mon Sep 15 03:34:54 UTC 2003

Hi Folks,

I have a site that is running sendmail on a server that
is running a DNS and resolver that contains data that
is not related to the Internet name space (it's the wierd
Solaris TN3270 stuff).

The server is behind a firewall and In the past we have
been able to route based on "A records" in the hosts
file.

There is a new requirement to reject mail from domains
that do not resolve, so we need to get sendmail to use
a resolver strategy different to the default lookup of the
resolv.conf file - in particular, we want to be able to set
the list of nameservers to be other than those from the
resolv.conf file, which we cannot change.

I have seen mention of overriding various parameters
in the resolver on a pre-process basis, but I couldn't
see any way to change the nameserver list itself.

Can anyone suggest a way we can get the sendmail
process to look a particular DNS server list other
than that specified in the resolv.conf?

Cheers, Dieter.