a question about NS entries

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Sep 15 23:42:13 UTC 2003

> When creating a primary DNS, do I need to create a NS record in my zone file
> for the secondary DNS or is it only necessary to modify /etc/named.conf to
> allow transfers to the secondary (slave) DNS? Or are both required. My
> understanding of zone files is that only entries for my domain are
> necessary.
>
> Mandrake Linux 9.0, Bind 9

	If you want other servers to query the slave you need to
	have the NS records in the zone and in the parent zone.

	If it is a stealth slave you just need to allow the zone to
	be tranfered to it.

	A organization may only have a couple of offical servers
	for a its zone but every branch office keeps a copy.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org