CNAME Records from Hell Just Wouldn't Go away.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Sep 16 00:20:21 UTC 2003

> 	One of our clients had a web site off campus that went bad,
> orphaning two CNAME records of ours.
>
> "piece of cake," I said to myself as I used nsupdate to re-write the
> aliases and point them somewhere else.
>
> 	Not so fast.  I got a servfail on each one, apparently because
> nsupdate tried to follow the redirection and came to the dead end that
> hundreds of customers were also finding.

	You just needed to supply the zone to nsupdate.  Nsupdate only
	attempt to lookup SOA of the name in the update request if
	you fail to supply the zone.  Note: BIND 8's nsupdate does *not*
	support specifying the zone, you need to use nsupdate from BIND 9.

> 	I began using successively larger and larger hammers to fix
> it.  Finally, I had to kill the master dns, physically delete the
> CNAMES from the zone file and restart it.
>
> 	That did work and I was able to use nsupdate to add the
> desired CNAMEs.
>
> 	Now for our slave.  It was taking the new updates from the
> master, but the old CNAME records kept coming back until I finally took
> the big hammer to it and killed it, wiped out the whole zone file and
> restarted it.  That worked fine, but wasn't there a better way to do
> this?

	I suspect that you failed to remove the journal on the master
	and as the slave was using IXFR it failed to see the change.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org