possibly complicated name server stat comparison

majorboredum majorboredum at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 20:10:46 UTC 2003

I have a question that so far I have had no luck being able to answer
and I'm not even sure its possible due to the way my current
environment is set up.

I'm trying to determine the percentage of lookups that are being
answered by an authorative name server that could be answered by a
caching only name server. We are trying to determine the amt of users
that are still using an  authorative name server for recursive
lookups.

I have 3 DNS servers. 2 are caching only, 1 is authorative for some
zones and also provides recursive lookups. All 3 servers are running
bind 8.4

I dont have much access to the authorative name server other than
access to global name stats.

Is there any way I can come determine this number from just the
named.stats file on each server ?

Is there a way to tell how many times a request is for a zone that the
server is authorative for vs how many times it has to go to look in
the cache or forward the lookup to another server ?

I think  Im correct in believing that the SNaAns field form the
named.stats is the amt of queries answered from the cache and that
SFwdQ is the amt of queries answered that had to be forwarded since
they where not in the name servers zone or in the cache. I still need
to figure out how many queries where made and how many of those where
for zones that the name server was authorative for.

I hope this makes sense.

Thankyou.