Subdomain configuration.

Marcello supix_CANC at planet1.it
Wed Sep 17 17:12:23 UTC 2003

Hi all.

I have a local stand-alone name server resolving all requests for a
domain (mydomain).

Recently, a new domain (subdomain.mydomain) is born. A different DNS
server has been setup for resolution of names in this new domain.
Assuming that all clients (for both domains) remain unchanged (in
particular their resolv.conf), what have I to change in the first name
server?

I've added the following lines in /etc/named.conf:

zone "subdomain.mydomain" {
    type forward;
    forwarders { 100.101.102.103; };
}

where 100.101.102.103 is the IP address of the new name server.
It seems to work. Is it correct? Is it enough?

Thanks a lot,
Marcello.