Verisign fix

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Sep 17 20:32:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:32:12AM -0600, Robert Weber wrote:
> If every user of bind did the deligation-only switch, what would be the
> concequence?  As I see it, this is more of a suicide pact.  Verisign is
> screwed, seeing possibly hundreds of thousands of lookups due to the
> spammers.  We are screwed because we no longer cache data for .com, etc
> requiring recursive lookups for everything.  Am I misunderstanding
> how this will work?

As I understand it, yes, you are.  ;-)

It would appear that the patch allows you to ignore all data in a given
zone except certain "delegation" data, such as NS records.  It does not
affect your server's ability to cache data that it's not ignoring.  [In
fact, caching data that you ARE ignoring seems kind of like write-only
memory, eh?  ;-)]

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B