Recursive service availability

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Sat Sep 20 09:17:19 UTC 2003

What is the best practice for maintaining high availability for Caching
only DNS service.

I am investigating several solutions

	1.	Layer 4-7 switch with VIP (Virtual Service IP address)
	2.	Server Balancing using the ibgp routing protocol (ospf for example)
	3.	Just running several independent hosts, with different ip addresses.

My concerns are,

	1.	I don't want users to experience timeouts, when some physical server
fails. (some clients are always trying the first configured nameserver
and application usually timeouts when this is not available)

	2.	I want to be able to scale and equally distribute the traffic in
case I have to handle abnormal traffic, and blackholing or blocking is
not an option.

I prefer the option 1 since I can scale easily and the VIP address is up
till there is at least one live server in the server farm. Any other
experience ?

Ladislav