What's wrong with this BIND configuration?

Wally Sanford wally at wallysanford.com
Sat Sep 20 15:55:41 UTC 2003

I am new at this. This computer was serving HTTP pages fine until I made
some changes in the DNS configuration (without making a backup).
Now I can reach my main page by the WAN IP address, but not
http://www.wallysanford.com or http://wallysanford.com.

A similar setup for DNS and IIS works well when the computer is booted to
Windows 2000 Advanced Server, but I cannot determine what I have botched
here in Linux.

Running Redhat 9, using a router with ports 80 and 53 allowing traffic,
internal IP is 192.168.1.x, WAN IP is currently 24.136.141.x, using
Namecheap's nameservers at:

dns1.name-services.com 63.251.163.102
dns2.name-services.com 216.52.184.230
dns3.name-services.com 63.251.83.36 .

The error I usually make is to enter my internal IP where I should have my
WAN IP, and so forth, but I've tried about every combination, without
luck. Also, rndc will not connect. Thanks in advance for constructive replies.

<CONFIGURATION FILES>

</etc/named.conf>

## named.conf - configuration for bind
#
# Generated automatically by redhat-config-bind, alchemist et al.
# Any changes not supported by redhat-config-bind should be put
# in /etc/named.custom
#
controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};

include "/etc/named.custom";

include "/etc/rndc.key";

zone "wallysanford.com" {
	type slave;
	file "wallysanford.com.zone";
	masters {
		 216.52.184.230;
		 63.251.163.102;
		 63.251.83.36;
		};
};

zone  "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file  "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone";
};

zone  "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file  "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.zone";
};

zone  "wallysanford.com" {
	type master;
	file  "wallysanford.com.zone";
};

</etc/named.custom>

## named.custom - custom configuration for bind
#
# Any changes not currently supported by redhat-config-bind should be put
# in this file.
#

zone  "." {
	type hint;
	file  "named.ca";
};

options {
        directory "/var/named/";
	query-source address * port 53;
	forwarders { 63.251.163.102; 216.52.184.230; 63.251.83.36; };
};

</var/named/0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.zone>

$TTL 86400
@	IN	SOA	dns1.name-services.com.	wally.wallysanford.com (
			105 ; serial
			7200 ; refresh
			7200 ; retry
			604800 ; expire
			86400 ; ttk
			)

@	IN	NS	dns1.name-services.com.

</var/named/1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone>

$TTL 86400
@	IN	SOA	dns1.name-services.com.	wally.wallysanford.com (
			106 ; serial
			7200 ; refresh