Need dynamic DNS windows client

ArizonaGuy31 at aol.com ArizonaGuy31 at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 04:11:38 UTC 2003

Hello every one:
This is my first post here and would greatly appreciate your help.

I have a web server rented and have 2 name servers setup for my domain using
BIND 9 on redhat. I am doing this for learning and trying to have a setup to
help my family members keep in touch.

This what I would like to do:

1. setup my name servers for dynamic updates (I think I know how to do that.)

2. give my family members a DNS client to update my server when they are
online with their IP so they could join my domain. For example: if my uncle gets
online, I could access his computer by "uncle.mydomain.com" and mydomain.com
name server would have his IP address.

Is that possible? I think what I mainly need is a windows dynamic DNS client
that is user friendly.

The other solution I thought of is to create a new zone like pc.mydomain.com
and delegate it to one of the dynamic DNS services and then my uncle would be
"uncle.pc.mydomain.com".

Any better solutions or ideas to get this working?

Thank you,
Sam