Aliasing one domain to another

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Tue Sep 23 12:23:31 UTC 2003

* Edvard Tuinder <bindlist at lunytune.nl> [20030922 19:58]: wrote:
> According to Nico De Ranter:
> > Hi,
> >
> > for historical reasons I have a number of domains that all point
> > to the same machines. Is there some easy way to make 1 domain a complete
> > alias for another domain without having to duplicate all records?
> > i.o.w. I have a number of hosts registered in domainA.com, I now
> > want domainB.com to contain the same hosts without having to manualy
> > duplicate all records.
>
> There are a number of ways to achieve this, but the easiest is probably to
> load one zone file for all zones that should be identical. As in
>
> zone "zone1.net" {
>         type master;
>         file "soa/zone1.net.soa";
> };
>
> zone "zone2.net" {
>         type master;
>         file "soa/test.net.soa";
> };

I missed the point here... the zone files are different in that example!!

> If you then modify that one zone file the changes will be in all three
> zones (do remember to reload all zones, through rndc reload).
>
> Alternatively you could use DNAME to duplicate an entire zone:
> As soa file for zone2.net:
>
> ; named file for zone2.net
> $TTL 86400
> @ IN SOA ns1.zone1.net. hostmaster.zone1.net. ( 2003072101 28800 3600 604800 86400 )
>   IN NS ns1.zone1.net
>   DNAME  zone1.net.

Time to check the O'reilly book again ;)

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington   <wash at wananchi.com>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

I've built a better model than the one at Data General
For data bases vegetable, animal, and mineral
My OS handles CPUs with multiplexed duality;
My PL/1 compiler shows impressive functionality.
My storage system's better than magnetic core polarity,
You never have to bother checking out a bit for parity;
There isn't any reason to install non-static floor matting;
My disk drive has capacity for variable formatting.

I feel compelled to mention what I know to be a gloating point:
There's lots of room in memory for variables floating-point,
Which shows for input vegetable, animal, and mineral
I've built a better model than the one at Data General.

		-- Steve Levine, "A Computer Song" (To the tune of
		   "Modern Major General", from "Pirates of Penzance",
		   by Gilbert & Sullivan)