Cache only nameserver...

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Wed Sep 24 17:27:18 UTC 2003

In article <bk3sas$1ka5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Cihan Subasi (Garanti Teknoloji) <CihanS at garanti.com.tr> wrote:
>I have 2 cache only dns servers,  used for internal clients to resolve
>outside world..But when my internet connection slows down or disconnected
>those 2 dns also stop resolving of slow down..I that the normal behaviour
>of cache only dns, I assume that if the connection is saturated or
>disconnected, the dns has to respond from its cache...Am I right?

The state of the link has no effect on whether it uses its cache or not.
It always responds from the cache if the answer is in there and its TTL
hasn't expired.  If not, it has to go out to the Internet to get the
answer; if the link is saturated, this may take a while to succeed.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA