running multiple bind9 daemonized instances on win32

Nick nickjeffrey at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 15:36:58 UTC 2003

I'm trying to provide name resolution services to 4 DMZ subnets
attached to Cisco PIX NAT firewall.  My primary and secondary DNS
server are both on the same DMZ subnet.  However, since the firewall
NAT functionality rewrites the source IP in the packet header, I
cannot use the "view" functionality of BIND9 to offer different
functionality makes it look like ALL requests are coming from the
local subnet.

Fine and dandy, I thought I'd just run 4 different instances of BIND,
each listening on a different IP address, then point the clients on
each DMZ subnet to the appropriate IP address for name resolution.

Now here's the dilemma: it's easy to run a SINGLE daemonized (or
service-ized to use win32-speak) instance of BIND using the default
named.conf file.  That functionality happens right out of the box
using the   However, when I try to run multiple instances of BIND, I
cannot seem to get them to run in the background - here's the output I
get:

C:\WINNT\system32\dns\bin>named -c
c:\winnt\system32\dns\etc\named.dmz3.conf
Use -f to run from the command line.

As you may recall, the "-f" switch means "run in foreground".  I don't
want to run in the foreground, because it means someone has to login
and start the process every time the machine boots.  I want to be able
to run as a daemon.

I am using the binary release of ISC BIND 9.2.2 for win32 from
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/contrib/ntbind-9.2.2/BIND9.2.2.zip

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
nickjeffrey_at_hotmail_dot_com