Setting up a backup server

Hiten Patel a at b.com
Thu Sep 25 09:30:43 UTC 2003

Let me explain further both webservers have db's lamp style. I will have
mysql setup with replication between the two servers. The primary (master)
server replicates to the secondry server in this case, I don't think the
secondary server (slave) will replicate to the primary. This db replication
is very similar to standard dns master/slave setup. Now since the second
webservers db's doesn't replicateto the first I don't want it to be accessed
unless the first one is down. So basically I've set-up a mirrored server and
only want it accessible went the primary is down as any data setup on the
secondary will not be replicated to the primary.

So really I need DNS to only access the first webserver, if that vwebserver
is inaccessible (if it's down) then redirect to the second webserver

Hiten

"Jeffrey Meltzer" <jeffrey at meltzer.org> wrote in message
news:bkskor$duj$1 at sf1.isc.org...
Round Robin DNS is either/or.

IE, if www.you.com has 2 a records as 111.111.111.111 and 222.222.222.222, a
lookup will return both ip's, at random. I think what you want is some kind
of Load Balancer, etc.