Question about setting up a DNS record

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Tue Sep 30 17:15:47 UTC 2003

In article <blcb9c$24lc$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Jason Williams  <jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:
>Not sure if my last reponse went through, but just so I understand this
>correctly:

Yes, it went through fine the first time.  I didn't respond because there
was nothing new to say.

>I thought it might be pretty simple. Since I had already setup a MX record
>pointing to my firewall (long setup really), I figured, it was a matter of
>setting the host and pointing to the A record...
>
>So with that setup, I could then send emails to users at:
>bugsbunny at blowfish.courtesymtg.com, to do my testing and at the same time
>it would not interfere with my current domain, courtesymtg.com, correct?

Correct.  Mail routing is simple: take the part of the address after the
'@' and look up its MX records, or its A records if there aren't any MX
records.  Mail to user at courtesymtg.com follows courtesymtg.com's MX record,
while mail to user at blowfish.courtesymtg.com follows
blowfish.courtesymtg.com's MX record.