Many A-records

fih frhak at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 08:05:32 UTC 2004

Hello guys!

I was once told that a network interface should have only one A-record and a
corresponding PTR record. Since you probably know many people likes to tweak
this and I'm doing my best to fight it.

While fightning it i also gets alot of questions about why we can't have
many A-records pointing to the same IP. Does any body know if there is a RFC
or Best practise DNS documentation that i can refer to or am I totally
wrong??

Also if my company likes to sell services based on DNS names and we have
customers that can't see the external namespace we use for our services.
They want me to add fake A-records in the customers namespace so our
services will have different names depending who is asking. This i don't
like
at all and i allready know that i will get in trouble with  SSL
certificates.
In my world we should instead make our service zone available
for the customer.

In my world a Network interface should have one but only one A-record.

Comments please!!!