I want my DNS server to redirect specific Querries.

Andrew K jad_moujaess at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 10:15:37 UTC 2004

Hi, I am a networking student, working on my final year project.

I am working in the context of visitor networks, where i dispose of a
gateway on which i've configured a DHCP and DNS server. I actually
need my DNS server to catch any DNS querry coming from a newly plugged
laptop (or any type of visiting machine) and rewrite it in order to
answer him back the IP address of my local web server (instead of
answering back the IP address of the requested site).Then The local
web server will, once asked, forward the visitor with a payement terms
page...
I know that the process of redirecting could be done by writing
certain lines of code in the web page that i want to divert clients
from, but this doesn't interest me since in my context, a newly
plugged visitor could, in his very first attempt, try to reach any
page that he want's (let's say www.google.com) so evidently i could
not write in google page an HTTP redirection..

In other words my question is: I am programming in VB.NET, and i
kindly need to know if there are any classes, or applications that
could lend me any possibility to personalize my local DNS server and
by then be able to answer back DNS querries (coming from specific IP
addresses) to a default IP address of my choice?

I've searched a lot but never found an answer to my question.
Hope that anybody could provide me with some Help.
Excuse my poor accent since i am not an american native!