Host or Dig - Which command to use?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 6 22:16:27 UTC 2004

June wrote:

>Both are DNS tools and each seems to be able to do its job..but when to use
>which? Is it just a personal preference or each has its strong side?

Personally, I never use "host" in my day-to-day activities. If I'm
troubleshooting a DNS problem, then I find it much more useful to see
the Authority/Additional Section information, the TTLs, etc., which are
part of "dig"s default output format. Since I use "host" so
infrequently, I haven't even bothered installing it on most of my boxes.

For casual use, though, "host" is just fine, and certainly better than
"nslookup".