Cnames and "virtual name based hosting"

Aaron Roberts aaron at domicilium.com
Wed Apr 7 10:30:44 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote:
> No i was thinking exactly what i was writing. I have been having this
> discussion regarding wheter it's more correct to use many A-records
> pointing to the same IP or have one A-record and many Cnames pointing
> at it. I was before convinced that one A-record and many Cnames are
> most correct but many people say that it's bad to use Cnames because
> resolvers needs to do two lookups and also using Cnames and "virtual
> name based hosting" togeather would be illegal???

CNAMES will not cause problems for virtual web servers that =
distinguished by
DNS names ("name-based virtual hosting"), provided the web servers are
configured to respond to the CNAME names.  CNAMES do require extra work =
for
the DNS resolver, but the HTTP client should use the original CNAME name =
in
the HTTP headers when connecting to the web server.

> I got the hint to read RFC 2181 section 10 and after that my world is
> a mess.
>=20

Hmmn...  Can't really help you there.

Aaron