Setting up chroot on Solaris 9 with BIND 9 -t switch

Rich Parkin RParkin at ldmi.com
Thu Apr 8 14:58:49 UTC 2004

Hello, all!

I am in the process of rebuilding our DNS servers with Solaris 9 and
BIND 9 and have BIND working (installed in /usr/local). I'm trying to
keep things as simple as I can so others can support it, but secure
enough for ISP production.   I would like to set up a chroot environment
using the -t switch.  I've looked for documentation on doing this and
haven't found much so far.

I have built a BIND 9 implementation on Solaris before, but my efforts
at setting up chroot with the available documentation at the time didn't
work (I'm not terribly skilled with Solaris yet).  Can anyone point me
at a resource?   I've looked at the Secure BIND Template, but it doesn't
cover use of the -t switch.

Does the chroot environment have to be set up basically the same
whether or not you use the -t switch?  Can anyone explain in technical
detail what the -t switch actually does?  Any reason why I shouldn't use
the -t switch and try to set up a traditional chroot instead?

Richard Parkin
System Administrator
CCNA
Data Center Operations