Many A-records

John S. Giltner, Jr. giltjr at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 02:16:54 UTC 2004

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

> JSGJ> I have a basic understanding of DNS, not really in-depth.  My
> JSGJ> idea of the:
> JSGJ>         CUST CNAME --> YOUR CNAME --> A record --> IP address
> JSGJ> was a attempt to reslove my understanding fih's issue.  Where
> JSGJ> "YOUR CNAME" was a CNAME in a zone that fih owns and manages
> JSGJ> Which was basically, he does not want to have to tell his
> JSGJ> customers to update their DNS entries for host names that
> JSGJ> point to servers he runs.
>
> My reading of
>
>     f> They want me to add fake A-records in the customers namespace
>     f> so our services will have different names depending who is
>     f> asking.
>
> was that the company asked him to set up the company's content DNS
> servers to provide content DNS service for his customers' domain
> names, because the company's content HTTP servers supported virtual
> hosting.  In other words: his company was providing _both_ content
> HTTP _and_ content DNS hosting services to its customers.

True, that is what he had in the post.  He sent me a private e-mail in
which he said he did not want to have to tell his customers to update
their DNS servers when he moved their Web servers from one box to
another.  I am having trouble following what it is his company does.
Here is quote from his private e-mail to me.  The last sentence talks
about notifying his customers to update their zones.  His descriptions
of what he is attempting to do, or fighting not todo is very confusing.

"About the dual naming. If i have a certificate protecting www.www.com
and i rename that service for another customer and call it maybe
www.customerzone.com he will get a lot of warnings when trying to reach
that site using https since the certificate was made for www.www.com.
Maybe webservers can have more than one certificate but then it will be
more expensive. If we rename our services so that different names will
be used depending on which customer is asking we will have to make sure
the Href tags does not include FQDN's from the namespace the customer
can't see. We will also have to tell all our customers to update their
DNS zones every time we change an IP."