Automate secondary DNS with MSDNS as primary

Shannon Hicks shan at criticaldigital.com
Fri Apr 9 22:55:07 UTC 2004

We are setting up a small hosting environment for our clients, but have
run into a problem with DNS. Our primary server is a Win 2k3 box running
Microsoft DNS (yeah, I know... "boo and hiss" to you too). I'm setting
up a box to be the secondary DNS server, and can make that either Linux
or another Win2k3 install.

Now, to my question... I want the process of adding a new client as
automated as possible, and would rather not have to add a new zone to
the config every time we add a new domain.

I've seen the scripts in Linux that do it, but would rather stay away
from a method that I can't support because of my lack of experience with
CRON and scripting in linux.

The only reason I'm asking this question again (yes, I see it's one of
the more popular ones) is because I couldn't find any that specifically
talked about MSDNS being the primary.

Any experts out there feel like helping another newbie?

Thanks,
Shan