Zone Transfer Issues With BIND9

Nate D. nate at tbh.info
Wed Apr 14 19:32:56 UTC 2004

On Oct 30, 2003, I posted a message about having zone transfer issues
between two servers, both with an internal and external view. I made
sure I accurately specified the match-clients, notify-source,
transfer-source, and query-source address options properly for each
view (as per the FAQ). Unfortunately, I was never able to get the two
servers to properly notify eachother, unless I restarted named on the
slave server - then the transfers would work perfectly. So I created a
horrible workaround of restarting the slave server's named process
every 10 minutes (under the gun with a screaming boss).

The follow-up message I received from Mark Andrews on 11/02/2003
suggested that I use "rndc refresh" and check my notify-source. I did
this, but ran into a snag with the "rndc refresh" command. Every time
I ran it, I would get:

rndc: 'refresh' failed: unexpected end of input

I troubleshot the problem and eventually gave up - since my workaround
seemed to be sufficient.

I now have two completely different, fresh RedHat 7.3 +
bind-9.2.1-1.7x.2 servers that I am using to work this out once and
for all. I manually re-created the named.conf files and every zone by
hand. However, I have only been able to get the system to the *exact*
same status as the current live DNS servers - zones only update when
the slave server's named is restarted. I also still receive the rndc
refresh EOI error.

So, I completely removed bind, config file(s), and the zones from the
slave server. I reinstalled bind with a config file like so:

options {
        directory "/etc";
        pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
        };

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/db.cache";
        };

I still receive the rncd refresh EOI error. So, I've done searches on
various mailing lists and can't find a ton of information about this
specific error. My system logs don't bark anything, and turning up the
log mode in bind doesn't show anything either.

The zone transfer problems aside, does anyone have any idea what's
going on?

Regards,

Nate D.