I've got a mess

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 16 01:10:02 UTC 2004

In article <c5nb62$lm4$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Michael Barber" <mikeb at comcity.com> wrote:

> There are some editors like textpad and a few others...but I'm really
> surprised that no-one has not created a wysiwig editor for DNS files by

There's a web-based DNS administration toolkit called WebMin.

> now..????  I think these other editors will work but the question is how do
> you search or update the serial #.  Whats the trick ---even with VI?

Many people format their files to make it easy to do things like this.
E.g.

@ IN SOA ns1.company.com. hostmaster.company.com. (
                     2004041501     ; serial
                           3600     ; refresh
                            900     ; retry
                         604800     ; expire
                          86400 )   ; minimum

Then a script can look for "; serial" and modify the serial number on
that line.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA