I've got a mess

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Fri Apr 16 14:55:00 UTC 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 05:56 pm, Michael Barber wrote:

> My zone files do not have a $TTL at the top and I don't see that
> causing any warning.  The only warning I see is: directory G:\\bind
> is world-writable and nothing we can do makes this go away even when
> that path is read-only for domain admins.
>
> I don't understand the difference between  "cached lifetime for the
> records" and "minimum TTL for the recorce records"...they sound the
> same.  There is also a TTL value in front of every SOA record, A
> record, etc.

My understanding is if you've got a ttl value for every record in your
zone file you don't need the "$TTL" directive; it's just a macro that
makes sure all the zone records that don't have their own TTL will
inherit the one defined there.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation