Delegation of Inverse Zone Subnets

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 16 16:44:02 UTC 2004

In article <c5os0c$1fbc$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Rich Parkin" <RParkin at ldmi.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> One of our customers is asking us to delegate to them the Inverse Zone
> for the IP subnet we've assigned their connection to the Internet.
>
> We've been delegated to from upstream providers, but I've never had to
> turn around and delegate to a downstream customer.
>
> I'm actually trying to shoot this down because I'm worried about
> running afoul of ARIN's lame delegation policy, not to mention the
> support headache of managing the delegation.  But I may not succeed, and
> have to do it anyway.
>
> Is there an RFC that covers this, or best practices to follow?  I've
> seen it done a couple of different ways and I want to make sure I do it
> right the first time.

RFC 1537 describes how to delegate reverse DNS for a block smaller than
/24.

If you've given them a /24 or larger, then the proper thing to do is to
submit a REASSIGN-DETAILED registration to ARIN, listing their
nameservers.  This will shadow the delegation to your nameservers that's
specified in the larger block registration.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA