Help: MS DNS slave to Bind Master configuration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 16 23:02:45 UTC 2004

news.verizon.net wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>I am running Windows 2000 Server MS DNS with Active Directory.
>I installed  bind 9.2.3 on Solaris 8.
>
>Unfortunately  I am not permissioned to install  bind 9.2.3 on Windows 2000.
>I want the Windows 2000 MS DNS to use the Bind 9.2.3 on a Solaris 8 system
>as it's primary DNS.
>
>I can only find information on using MS DNS as the primary and Bind 9 as the
>slave.
>
>since _tcp.company.com  _msdcs.company.com  _sites.company.com
>_udp.company.com
>have no zone files of their own
>How do I create the bind zone files for these subdomains of company.com?
>
>I assume that _tcp.company.com  _msdcs.company.com  _sites.company.com
>_udp.company.com  subdomains
>use SOA and NS records like any othe zone file.

If you're going to host the "underscore" subdomains on the same master
as the main company.com zone (as opposed to delegating them to MSDNS
servers, as many folks do), then technically there's no reason why you
have to delegate them into subzones. The only reasons that come to mind
for doing so are a) to cut down on zone-transfer traffic, b) because you
want to allow the Domain Controllers to do Dynamic Updates to those
zones without having to open up the main company.com zone for that.

In any case, if you're going to be master for those zones, then just set
them up like you would any other zones, with zone files containing SOA,
NS records etc...