IDNs and BIND...

Ketil Froyn isc_bind at ketil.froyn.name
Mon Apr 19 11:20:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 11:33, CihanS at garanti.com.tr wrote:
> I have a questionabout IDN offered by some of the ICANN accredited
> registrars,
>
> If a get a IDN from lets say Register.com,
>
> How would I make my BIND understand and respond to those requests? In
> another word, will I be able to make my own dns servers be authorative
> for those domain names or Registrar dns servers will be authorative
> for IDNs?
>
> If my own DNS servers are able be authorative for IDNs, I guess
> something has to be done in BIND as well? What this could be or is
> this avalaible for the moment?

For an IDN, you have to tell BIND to respond for the PUNYCODE
representation of the domain. For instance, if you register the IDN
"müller.name" (U+006D U+00FC U+006C U+006C U+0065 U+0072, I think), the
domain you are really getting is the PUNYCODE representation of the IDN,
which is "xn--mller-kva.name", and you would have to tell BIND to
respond to that. Other than that, the domain xn--mller-kva.name would be
just like any other domain name, and could be set up as you wish.

(BIND does not currently need to know anything about the IDN itself,
only the PUNYCODE representation. This would presumably have to be
changed in the future if DNS is to support IDNs directly).

Ketil Froyn
ketil at froyn.name
http://ketil.froyn.name/