Allocating a fixed IP address with Dynamic DHCP

Quadstone Ltd quadston at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 11:11:59 UTC 2004

We are running Bind 9.2.3, ISC DHCP 3.0.1 and Samba 2.2.8a (as a domain
controller/WINS server).
We have laptops with 2 or 3 network interfaces - builtin ethernet, docking
port and Wireless card.
If we allocate a separate IP address to each interface we get problems
with WINS as it usually doesn't change the IP address in the Samba wins.dat
file if you say undock a laptop and start using the builtin network card.
One suggestion is to use Dynamic DNS via DHCP.  Is it possible to use this
to allocate fixed IP addresses on certain networks.  I.e. a laptop is
always allocated the same IP address whatever network interface is being used?

Michael