Intermittent resolution to old address for root domain.

tradebledsoe at yahoo.com tradebledsoe at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 04:20:50 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:<c61fc8$2o7i$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> In article <c614mh$2hob$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  tradebledsoe at yahoo.com (tradebledsoe at yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> > Any hints would be -greatly- appreciated.
> >
> > Verified that the registrar points to the same NS servers listed with
> > NS records in the zone file.
> >
> > foo.com has an A record pointing to the address of ns1.foo.com.  It
> > used to have an A record pointing to ns2.foo.com.  After changing it,
> > we are seeing the IP for foo.com flip back and forth between the
> > correct address and the old address outside of our own network.  This
> > has been going on for over a week now.
> >
> > dig @ns1.foo.com foo.com gives the proper address.
> > dig @ns2.foo.com foo.com gives the proper address.
> >
> > Even more bizarre, www.foo.com is a cname pointing to foo.com, but
> > dig'ing that cname shows the proper A record for foo.com -every- time.
> >
> > Our TTL is around 10 hours, and EXPIRE is around 1 week.  We are
> > almost a week and a half out from the change.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what we should look for?
>
> Sounds like the COM servers have a glue record for "foo.com".  What do
> you see if you do
>
> dig @a.gtld-servers.net foo.com

First off, thanks tons for the response.

Hmm, the wrong address -each- and every time, on all of them.  In my
reading that seems to indicate that we need to speak with our
registrar to get them to look at the glue record for our domain.  In
this case the .us domain.  Am I right?

Our NS servers are set as authorative for our domain.  Is there some
way to tell if there is a glue record remotely?  dig @a.gtld.biz
foo.us axfr doesn't work, since, presumably, I can't do a zone
transfer.  Is there a way to remotely get a dump of a nameserver's
cache for a particular zone?

Thanks a lot!