diff.c unexpected non-minimal diff error

Ron Dutton ron.dutton at db.com
Thu Apr 22 17:50:58 UTC 2004

Bind Users,

I keep getting these types of messages in my named log. I checked the bind users archives and a thread posted by Greg Robinson indicates the same
error but I could not find the fix or source of the problem.
I am running BIND 9.2.3rc4.
Please explain these errors:

Apr 22 12:52:48.246 info: received notify for zone 'domainname.com'
Apr 22 12:53:10.270 warning: update with no effect
Apr 22 12:53:10.270 error: diff.c:173: unexpected error:
Apr 22 12:53:10.270 error: unexpected non-minimal diff

I checked the diff.c on line 173

      /*
       * Look for an existing tuple with the same owner name,
       * rdata, and TTL.   If we are doing an addition and find a
       * deletion or vice versa, remove both the old and the
       * new tuple since they cancel each other out (assuming
       * that we never delete nonexistent data or add existing
       * data).
       *
       * If we find an old update of the same kind as
       * the one we are doing, there must be a programming
       * error.  We report it but try to continue anyway.
       */
      for (ot = ISC_LIST_HEAD(diff->tuples); ot != NULL;
           ot = next_ot)
      {
            next_ot = ISC_LIST_NEXT(ot, link);
            if (dns_name_equal(&ot->name, &(*tuplep)->name) &&
                dns_rdata_compare(&ot->rdata, &(*tuplep)->rdata) == 0 &&
                ot->ttl == (*tuplep)->ttl)
            {
                  ISC_LIST_UNLINK(diff->tuples, ot, link);
                  if ((*tuplep)->op == ot->op) {
                        UNEXPECTED_ERROR(__FILE__, __LINE__,
                               "unexpected non-minimal diff");
                  } else {