Setting up DNS in DMZ

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 22 23:35:06 UTC 2004

Tim Stanley wrote:

>So, if I understand this right, here's what I got:
>
>Public 205.xxx.xxx.xxx
>DMZ 192.168.1.xxx
>Private 192.168.2.xxx
>
>The dns is, for example, 192.168.1.1.
>
>So, I build a zone for my domain using addresses from the 205.xxx.xxx.xxx
>network in the DNS. I also have a reverse zone for the 205.xxx.xxx.xxx
>network on the DNS.

Right. Those would be for any "external" clients who need to connect to
your resources externally, which might possibly include some of your DMZ
clients, depending on how you are set up.

>Question I have, is, do I build a separate "zone" and reverse zone for the
>192.168.1.xxx network on the DNS? Is this what you are talking about using
>Split DNS for?

Yes. You'd set that up for your *internal* clients. In fact, you may as
well go ahead and set up 168.192.in-addr.arpa, even if you're only using
a part of the 192.168.*.* range, since there is no reason you'd want to
send 192.168.*.* reverse queries out to the Internet. If
168.192.in-addr.arpa gets too unwieldy, you can always delegate subzones
later...

>Does it really matter what the host name of the DNS server is? That is, does
>it need to be a FQDN in my "registered" domain?

Depends on what exactly you mean by "host name". If you mean the
so-called "node name" that the box knows itself by, then that doesn't
have any direct relationship to DNS. If you mean the name by which it is
reached by clients via DNS lookup, then obviously there is a requirement
that the name resolve to the correct address(es).

                                                      - Kevin