gethostbyaddr - 'paranoid' mode

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Apr 27 22:07:54 UTC 2004

Jose <jose.a.campos at exxonmobil.com> wrote:
> I know this issue has been discussed a few times already, but I can't
> find the info I need.
> "Paranoid" mode basicaaly means, according to some posts, to the fact
> that gethostbyaddr will call gethostbyname, and if the results do not
> match, it'll flag that as an error.

> Is there any way to turn this behavior off? I'd like for the
> gethostbyaddr function to bypass calling gethostbyname, under Bind 4.9
> and Bind 8.3.3 (both running on HPUX 11).

The Resolver is implemented in libc ( or in a separate resolverlib
in some arcitecures).

The term "paranoid" however is afaik used in tcp-wrappers,
( tcpd in BSD, but hp has in their infinite wizdom included simular
code in inetd, see inetd.sec for configuration )

> Thanks.

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,