Dig: specifying a source port

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 4 21:49:45 UTC 2004

Jason Richards wrote:

>That only allows you to specify the source address, not the source port.
>
>-Jason
>

>>How did you determine this wasn't "natively available"? The dig version
>>

>included in BIND 9.2.2-P3 and later has a
>

>>-b option which allows you to set the source port.

Sorry, I misread your question.

However, since there is already code in dig to bind() to a specific
address, seems like it would be a fairly trivial patch to have it bind()
to a particular port as well. Not much to go wrong there. I'll have to
side with the folks who think this is more of an OS issue or a basic
network programming issue, than a problem with the patch _per_se_.