Internal and external DNS configuration - how to

Andreas Schaefer AndiSHFR at gmx.net
Thu Aug 5 11:16:07 UTC 2004

Hello listmembers.

Currently i try to use our internal nameserver (net 10.0.0.0/8) as a
master for our private/internal names and for our public names. i
have read a lot about split-brain configurations but there are some
things that i may have overread or did not read at all.

I want a nameserver on the internal network for all internal
names like "mypc.int.domain.com" and external names like
"www.domain.com" - ok. The public dns is setup as a slave dns
to the internal master dns.

Q:  How does our public nameserver get the zone file for "domain.com"
    but not for "int.domain.com". As far as i know the slave will
    request zone transfers in case of change. But the internal
    master dns cannot be reached from the outside world?
    Is there a way to push the zone to the public (slave) dns
    from the internal (master) dns?

    P    +--------------------------------------+
    U    | public dns as slave for "domain.com" |
    B    |   can give authoritative answers     |
    L    +------+-------------------------------+
    I           | 195.52.37.128/28
    C           |                     /\
           +----+------------+        |  Traffic flows
           | FIREWALL / NAT  |        |  from inside to outside
    R           |
    I           | 10.0.0.0/8
    A     | priv. dns as master for "domain.com" and "int.domain.com" |

Maybe i missunderstodd or overread something here.

best regards
Andreas Schaefer