Reverse DNS (PTR)

Shabam blislecp at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 1 05:40:32 UTC 2004

I was informed by Aol that emails from my domain isn't reaching aol
subscribers because of the lack of PTR (reverse DNS).  I did configure it in
my DNS server.  When within the server and I type my site's IP address it
returns the domain name just fine.  However when I'm doing a nslookup from
outside I get this:

[root at somewhereelse]# nslookup 1.2.3.4
Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN

Here's the output when doing the same within the DNS server that's delegated
to the domain name in question:

[root at dnsserver]# nslookup 1.2.3.4
Answer crypto-validated by server:
Server:  dnsserver.whatever.com