Negative Caching trouble

Jaysheel Mehd jmehd at hns.com
Tue Aug 3 14:47:35 UTC 2004

Hey Everyone,

Every now and then I am stumbling into the problem of negative caching
on my DNS server. The intranet DNS server seems to resolve the MX, A
records of the domain absolutely fine. The domain in question here is
shns.com.cn. While the external DNS server seems to fumble to get the
records.

The DNS records of the domain shns.com.cn seems absolutely fine. Also,
my intranet and extranet servers run the same version of BIND. It is
BIND-9.2.1.

Once, I dump the cache everything works fine. Why the DNS server should
behave in such a fashion and what should be done to resolve it permanently?

Thanks
Jaysheel