Controlling DNS by Mail

Roy S. Rapoport bind9-users at ols.inorganic.org
Fri Aug 6 07:45:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:10:29AM +0200, Sebastian Ganschow wrote:
> I'm searching for a solution to control the DNS-Server by sending a Mail to it.
> I searched with google & Co but I can't find any information onit.
> It should work like the following example:
>
> 1. user is sending a mail to a mail-adress like dns at domain.com
> 2. robot ist checking if user is autorized to make changes in the dns
> 3. if yes, robot makes changes
> 4. robot reloads dns-server
>
> Do you know any software to implement such a service?

I did something like this by writing my own software and verifying it both
came from a given email address and also only modified specific records.
It's just something I did for a friend's personal domain, and it's not at
all robust.  I wouldn't deploy it in any real production environment
without rolling in something like PKE for authentication.  It is, frankly,
IMHO a much greater pain in the ass than is worth the hassle.

-roy