DNS hidding

Before The Gods before.the.gods at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:13:23 UTC 2004

Hello

I am not a DNS expert but I am sure my problem can be easily solved.

In our office, we use an internal DNS.  This internal DNS implements,
for a given "xyz.com" project, 3 entries:

* www.dev.xyz.com --> points to the private adress of the development
site;

* www.xyz.com --> points to the public production site

* www.prod.xyz.com --> is an alias of www.xyz.com;

www.prod.xyz.com is only used to create some coherence in our work:
when a programmer wants to access a site, he always used the same
convention:

www.[prod|dev].project_domain

The problem is the following:

We use IIS as our production server and since we have a restricted
pool of ip adresses, we had to map more than one project per IP (using
the header split mechanism)

Now when I am in the office and I type "www.prod.xyz.com", the browser
doesnt change "www.prod.xyz.com" to "www.xyz.com" ... consequently, I
am not able to load the public site (since, in prod, no header is
defined for the "www.prod.xyz.com" format)

This problem would not happen if the DNS could "replace" www.xyz.com
when I type "www.prod.xyz.com" ... but I think that a DNS alias only
return an IP without changing the name associated to that IP.

So is it possible to configure my DNS so that when a user ask for
"www.prod.xyz.com", it will redirect to "www.xyz.com" ?

Thanks in advance